PENNANT FORMAT AND RULES 2021
MATCH PLAY SECTION
PRESIDENTS PENNANTS FORMAT AND RULES 2021
1. A team consists of FOUR players competing in matchplay
2. Clubs unable to enter a team may combine with another Club or seek the services of another player who is not selected/required by the players home Club. A player can only represent one team throughout the series.
3. Individual player team positions will be governed by handicap index on the day of the match.
Captains will decide positions where indexes are the same.
4. Matches will be played over 18 holes.
5. Scoring is based on 2 points for a team win, 1 point for half.
6. Penalties for teams and individual matches defaulted:
* 2 points will be deducted from the overall points of defaulting team
* the team defaulted to will receive 2 match points and be credited 4 individual games
Should a team arrive with less than 4 players the ‘unnamed’ player shall be deemed to be
No. 4 position player. The opposing team has the right to withdraw the player of their choice
(Such player is still eligible to play in Southland trial).
Golf Southland reserves the right to impose sanctions against teams defaulting matches not in keeping with the spirit of the game.
7. Matches will be played on dates as set down by Golf Southland.
8. Where a Club has two or more teams, a player from one team may not play in another team
unless named as a reserve at the start of the series. When a player has completed more than once for a team he is deemed to be a member of that team and therefore is not eligible to represent any other team in the series.
9. Match results to be forwarded to Golf Southland Office on Monday following the match.
10. If a semi final match ends tied (halved) it shall be decided by:
a) countback of matches won during the series; if still tied
b) on countback of the gross totals of the teams 3 best scores from the semi final; if still tied
c) the 4th players gross score; if still tied
d) team captains toss a coin.
11. If a final match ends tied (halved) it shall be decided by:
No. 1 players playing a hole by hole sudden death playoff until a result is found
Note: if it is not possible to have such a playoff or result found on the day it shall be decided by:
a) the team with the most individual match wins in the semi finals and finals; if still tied
b) gross totals of the 3 best scores from the final round;; if still tied
c) the 4th players gross score; if still tied
d) countback of individual wins over the series; if still tied
e) Team captains toss a coin.
12. Cards must be completed for all matches, countersigned by opposing players, and handed
in at end of round.
Draw Venues will be allocated according to entries received
7th August, 14th August, 4th Sept
Semi Finals/ Finals 11th September at Gore
VICE PRESIDENT PENNANT
MATCH PLAY SECTION VICE PRESIDENT PENNANT
- 1 team consisting of six players playing match play maximum 8 strokes given to top 2 players maximum course handicap 15
- Player positions are governed by handicap index on the date of the match.
- Captains will decide positions where indexes are the same.
- Matches will be played over 18 holes with matches either won/lost or halved.
- Scoring is based on 2 points for a match win, 1 point for a halved match.
- 2 points will be deducted against a team defaulting. Any team not turning up for a round will not receive a home venue the following year. The team defaulted to will receive 2 points for the match win and 6 points for the individual wins. Golf Southland reserves the right to impose sanctions against teams defaulting matches not in keeping with the spirit of the game.
- Teams are encouraged to field a team if at all possible even if the full compliment of players is not available. A team default should be made as a last option only.
- A team defaulting or playing with less than a full compliment of players shall be fined $20 per player per match if two or more players default.
- Should a named player not arrive for his match, the match will be defaulted in order of handicap index. Should a team arrive with less than six players’ the unnamed player(s) shall be deemed to be from the number 6 position. The opposing team has the right to withdraw the player of their choice.
- Clubs unable to enter a team may combine with another club.
- Matches will be played on a Saturday as set in the Golf Southland program. A Club not hosting a round in any one year will automatically be granted hosting rights the following year.
- Players are also entitled to play in the handicap pennant section.
- Entry of 7 teams or less round robin play with semifinal and final contested between top 4 teams.
- Entry of 8 teams or more two sections with semifinal and final after section play.
- Where a club has two teams in the same Matchplay pennants a player from the one team may not play in the other team for the semi final and final of the series
- If a semi final match ends tied and daylight hours permit the Pennant Controller can nominate a maximum amount of holes over which the sudden death playoff is to be played and if there is no results after these holes have been played then the winner will be the highest qualifier (i.e. the winner of their division).
- If final match ends tied the No 1’s shall play a sudden death playoff on holes nominated by the Pennant Controller. If daylight does not permit the playoff to continue then the playoff will be decided by either a chip off or putt off on a basis to be decided by the Pennant Controller.
- Any complaints need to be in writing within 7 days of the event.
Draw for Vice Presidents Venues will be allocated according to entries received.
13th Mar, 27 Mar, 10th April, 8th May
Finals 23rd May
1 . Teams to comprise of four players
2. There will be three divisions with a maximum of twelve teams in each division.
3. Competition to be on medal in all divisions. The first five placings in each division are to play off for the pennant.
4. Three best scores to count each day.
5. Should a tie for 5th place occur in a division all teams will advance to the pennant playoff.
6. Players may play for more than one division in the rounds. In the final the player can only play for the first team he represented.
7. If a tie should occur at the final, results will be decided on countback of non-counting scores.
8. With the exception of the finals day there will be no reserve day.
9. Clubs failing to enter a team in any year will forfeit the right to host a around the following year.
VENUES AND DRAW FOR 2021 (Subject to change with entries received)
Date Div 1 Div 2 Div 3
Feb 21 Riversdale Mataura Dipton
Mar 28 Tokanui Waikaka Drummond
Apr 11 Tuatapere Nightcaps Wyndham
May 9 Bluff Riverton Heghehope
23rd May Finals Day